POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PLC: Submission formats? : Re: Submission formats? Server Time
3 May 2024 15:18:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Submission formats?
From: Rune
Date: 22 May 2000 11:33:00
Message: <3929532c@news.povray.org>
"Philippe Debar" wrote:
> "Rune" wrote:
> > If a logo creator decides to present his logo in really
> > fancy ways only, and he doesn't present his logo in the
> > limited formats, then I think some voters will judge
> > upon the fancy version only. They may give the logo a
> > high score because they like what they see, but that is
> > not so good if the logo actually wouldn't have looked
> > nice in simple formats.
> >
> > I may not become popular by saying this, but I'm
> > questioning the voters ability to judge upon what they
> > *don't* see.
>
> If the voters are mainly those who haunts these groups,
> I am fairly confident that they are capable of such
> thinking.

If I see a color logo with lots of details and effects, I will not be able
to tell how it will look in a simple black and white version. Therefore I
would like to *see* the black and white version.

> I believe most other Povray users can too. Nonetheless,
> I understand your concern - my way of dealing with it
> would be to educate the voters : guidelines for voters.
> (Maybe I am a bit too confident and naive.)

Hmm, would that be like saying to the voters, "When deciding if a logo is
good, try to imagine how it would look in just black and white (...)".

Why shouldn't we instead simply *show* them how it looks in black and white?

> > I think we should have some kind of limit,
> > but the limit should be based on quality,
> > not on who has made the logo.
> >
> > For example we could say that logos can only
> > be submitted to the contest if there's at
> > least 3 persons who supports it. Logos that
> > nobody will support has no chance of winning
> > anyway.
> >
> > What do you think of my suggestion?
>
> Very good, I think.
>
> I see some potential problems. (1)Deadline and
> the collecting of support. Last-minute entrants
> would have a hard time getting support. Could
> support be given on drafts?

We could maybe have a period meant for collecting support.

> (2) If anybody can give support, the rule will
> have no real effect. Anybody can get 3 friends
> to give blindly such support - and one can even
> set up fake net-identities to ive himself support.
> OTOH, getting more then 3 "serious" (for example
> people from this ng) could be hard... I have no
> solution to offer.

I think those who allowed to vote in the contest are also those who can
support logos. That is, any POV-Ray user.

Furthermore, I actually meant that one person could give support for one
logo only. If not so, one person could just support all the logos. It may
greatly limit the number of logos that enter the competition, but those
logos that doesn't make it had no chance of winning anyway.

> One wild suggestion : first logo could be "free"
> (no support). Possibly, successive logos could
> need a growing number of support...

I personally don't see what the reason for such a rule would be. It would
(again) be like telling people that it is preferred that each person make a
few logos only, and I don't see the reason for that. I think, let the voters
decide instead, either by using the "support method" or by not limit the
submissions at all.

Greetings,

Rune

---
Updated April 25: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,